How much fat should I eat per day? When people discuss diet in relation to building muscle and burning body fat the focus is usually on protein intake. Everyone wants to know how much protein they should be eating when they should also be asking “how much fat should I be eating?“ What many people don’t realize about fat is that it plays a vital role in ones ability to build muscle and burn fat. It may even be as important as protein!
Your body needs fat to perform certain functions within your body, like providing energy and producing hormones. Any energy that fat provides is energy that isn’t produced from the breakdown of protein. To put it another way – fat is a protein sparing nutrient in the same way that carbohydrates are. Furthermore, by eating fat you will improve your ability to use fat as energy, keeping you lean!
The most important role that fat plays in building muscle and burning fat is hormone production. To put it simply, if you’re not eating enough fat your hormone production may suffer, specifically testosterone. You can see why adequate fat intake is important for building muscle and losing weight.
So to answer the question “How much fat should I eat per day?” About 30% of your overall caloric intake should come from fat (this is for both gaining and losing weight), this is just a general percentage, actual percentages will vary for each person. If you needed to eat 3,000 calories a day you would want to make sure 30% of those 3,000 calories came from fat.
3000 x .30 = 900 / 9 = 100 grams of fat a day.
You will want to make sure that you’re eating mostly Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated fatty acids, roughly 75% of your total fat intake. The other 25% should come from Saturated fats that are found in meats and processed foods. Obviously you want that entire 25% to come from meat and not processed foods.
Some good sources of fat include almonds, peanuts, cashews, Brazilian nuts, walnuts, Fish Oil, vegetable oil, olive oil, canola oil, Udo’s Oil, Flax Oil, avocados and lean meats. Like the other nutrients you don’t want to eat all of this fat at once. Your fat intake should be spread out throughout the day in your 6-7 meals, aim for 10-15 grams per meal depending on your caloric requirements.
Hopefully I’ve answered the question “how much fat should I eat per day“. Let me know if you found this post helpful by leaving a comment below. If there is a topic you would like me to write about let me know on my Facebook page, Thanks for reading!